Monday, March 18, 2013

Fearless Females Blog Post: March 18 ~ Her Perfect Arrangement

My great aunt, Evelyn Smith Brown (1904-1978), was my grandmother’s sister. When I was growing up, she and my Uncle Winston lived on Lawn Avenue, in South Portland. They didn’t have any children of their own, but always welcomed us into their home for holiday gatherings, and we visited with them frequently.

My memories of those visits are filled with images of china cabinets full of porcelain figurines, an old white upright piano perfect for little kids to bang out simple songs, and a cuckoo clock that never failed to delight.

What I never appreciated as a child about “Auntie” was her talent for flower arranging.  She belonged to the local chapter of the Osawantha Garden Club and took great pride in her flower gardens. I remember an afternoon during my Girl Scouting days, when I was trying to earn one badge or another, and I was dropped off at her house so that she could teach me how make an arrangement for myself. As with so many talented people, of course, she ended up doing the whole thing herself!

Evelyn Brown took great pride in her flower arrangements and won numerous prizes like this one.







Lisa Alzo of  The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting her Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month series in honor of National Women’s History Month.

1 comment: