Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Fearless Female Blog Post: March 5 ~ At the Corner of Bread and Cookies


My father, Dick Seavey, and my mother, Marilyn Bustin, met at a place I have written about before. And dear Cupid, in the guise of mutual friend, Winnie Cooper, found the perfect assignment at Cushman’s Bakery in Portland, Maine, in the early Spring of 1954.

Fresh out of the Navy, Dick was working in the Bread Room at the Bakery’s Store #5 at 107 Elm Street. Following a couple of summers working there during high school, and with no money for college, it was only natural for Marilyn to return to work there following graduation from Deering High School in 1949.

Having graduated from South Portland High School the same year, Dick knew many of the same people, many of whom would remain friends of theirs for years to come.



The above pictures were taken while they visited 
with Dick's sister and brother-in-law 
in their mobile home

While visiting Washington with friends that Spring, Marilyn sent Dick this postcard (postmarked March 29, 1954):


Dear Dick -
Hello again and how are you today? It is real warm here today. Just been shopping. Going to a show tonight. Don’t know if another letter will get to you before I do or not. Gee wiz, I really never knew I could miss anyone so much, but I do. Should be home by 6 Sunday night. I wish you would call me. If you want to that is. Hope you miss me a little. See you soon. Love, Marilyn”

I guess he did, because they were married the following September, and were married for 56 years.





Lisa Alzo of  The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting her Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month series in honor of National Women’s History Month.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great story! Did they continue to bake bread throughout their lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Cushman's bakery stories. I was with my godfather recently and he regaled me with stories about the days my Dad drove the Cushman's truck and "all the guys" would beg for rides in the back so they could sneak snacks of bread and goodies. I guess they would drive around Beverly and the North Shore for hours with my Dad during their late high school and college years.

    ReplyDelete