Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday's Obituary (from Nana's Scrapbook) ~ Mrs. Robert A. MacKay



Aileen McDonald Crockett MacKay (1915-1960)

My great grandmother, Melvina Jane Hamilton Bustin, kept a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, which I am fortunate to have inherited. She came to the States from Nova Scotia in the early 1900's, but kept very close ties with her family, and my great grandfather's family "down east." Tattered and worn, it has yielded many a story, memory, and genealogical gem for me. It is practically falling apart, so I usually have to "doctor up" the original, but it is well worth it!

This unsourced and undated obituary was  probably printed in a Truro, Nova Scotia newspaper, which Nana received in the mail, in Portland, Maine. It is for the wife of my 1st cousin 3x removed, Robert Alexander MacKay: Aileen McDonald Crockett MacKay 

As I've tenderly browsed through the scrapbook, I've enjoyed reading the style of the writing in these Canadian obituaries. They invariably mention the hymns that were sung at the funeral, and list the pallbearers (which can be an invaluable genealogical clue in itself).

I'll be gleaning as much as I can from this obituary as I continue climbing my family tree.

And, look for more of these treasures in this space in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment