In the West Cumberland Methodist Cemetery
In memory of
Capt. Andrew Leighton
June 16, 1830
In 1790, he was living in North Yarmouth and in 1808 was elected a Captain in the 6th Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia.
Capt. Andrew laid out the county road from Falmouth to Portland, and was a prosperous lumber trader, dealing in ship's timber.
In 1800, he built and operated the Leighton Tavern on the Gray Road in West Cumberland, which was the stage route from Falmouth to Bakertown (now Lewiston).
Captain Leighton died in North Yarmouth on June 16, 1830.
In 1971, the tavern was moved to Schooner Rocks, in Cumberland Foreside and restored.